The life and times of an ethnically ambiguous little lady.

Friday, March 30, 2007

How to Ruin a Girl's Day in Two Seconds

I realize that I don't look particularly intimidating, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy advice from strangers. I was walking down the street yesterday and a guy on the street says to me "don't look so sad. It can't be that bad."

I have a couple issues with that comment. First of all, I wasn't aware that I looked sad. I like to think that I look distinguished, or intelligent, or hell, even pretty. That's just my face.

Secondly, what if what I'm thinking about is that bad? What if I had an accident and I am unable to smile? What if my dog just died? What if I just lost my job and then was robbed at gunpoint? What if I caught a whiff of something that reminded me of a wistful memory?

And lastly, why is my face any of your business? I don't go up to homeless people and say, "don't look sad, homeless man. It can't be that bad! I mean, sure, you don't have a home, but at least you have those cats!" Or "don't look so happy, ma'm. Your shoes completely clash with your outfit."

I think the policy is: my face, my business. Besides, frowning burns more calories then smiling. Maybe I'm just on a diet.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

Huh, I didn't realize that strangers comment on those of us who don't look intimidating. Shit.

6:06 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree that it was rude for that person to comment, especially in a negative way. But take it from another person who has a built-in frown, maybe this comment gave you a view of how some people might see you that could possibly be helpful in the future. Take for example, you are applying for a job or meeting someone for the first time for whom you would like to make a good impression. For some folks a smile comes easy -- even natural. For the rest of us, (myself included) we have to work at it a little bit. Does that mean we are being phony. Absolutely not, what it means is that we are trying to show on the outside how we feel on the inside. It's all about communication.

8:36 PM

 
Blogger Jordyn said...

People say that to me too! I always get the you-look-sad speech. Or sometimes, from my dad, jeez-Jordyn-you-look-like-you're-dying.
Gee, thanks. Nice to know that I'm loved.
HELLO! THIS IS JUST MY FACE!
Yeah, apparantly I have a permanent frown that's so bad it makes me look like I'm dying.

5:09 PM

 
Blogger rachael said...

what's so wrong with unhappy? Why do we have to judge it?

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home