The life and times of an ethnically ambiguous little lady.

Monday, March 03, 2008

I Have a Face for Radio

Last week I was a guest on the podcast Keith and the Girl. It's episode #677 called Break Time and you can find it here: http://www.keithandthegirl.com/AllEpisodes.aspx.


I loved doing it. I mean, I rather enjoy talking: This is one of the main reasons that I choose stand-up comedy as opposed to say, being a mime. And I'm very honest, maybe to a fault. So when a comic goes on a show and people ask you about your jokes, well, sometimes it can get very personal. Especially if your jokes tend to be about your life, as opposed to "what the deal is with paperclips."


This has always been a fascinating aspect of comedy for me. I can watch a comic do set after set in New York City. And after seeing him four or five times I know that he grew up in Massachusetts, had loving yet distant parents, and was raped as a child, yet we've never had an actual conversation before.


And this is always the dilemma as a comic. Should you talk about the issues that are really bothering you, thus opening yourself up to discussion with others, or do you just make sure that you talk about anything else as long as it's funny?

I always thought there were some things I'd never talk about. Like my menstrual cycle. Or how I feel like I'm being raped by ghosts when I go through the Puffer security detector in the airport. Or Slash from Guns N’ Roses. But you know, it can all be funny if talked about the right way. It's just about trying to be you up there. Although I have been dying to try this character where I'm a Chinese Children's Party Clown...

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger BrianAlt said...

"...raped by ghosts when I go through the Puffer security detector in the airport."

Ha! Good one.

Enjoyed the KATG appearance.

11:46 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed the KATG visit. You think well on your feet.

1:53 PM

 
Blogger allan Gering said...

This is nice story thanks for sharing. And i enjoy the KATG appearing.
________________
Mas Pene

3:33 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home